By train it takes between 11 and 14 hours to travel between Bangkok and Chiang Mai depending upon which train service you use. Travel by train is slower than air travel but it is also more enjoyable. The scenery on the train journey is very good. You also have the option of travelling overnight in an inexpensive sleeper berth and saving on the cost of a hotel room for the night.
Train times to Chiang Mai
There are 5 direct trains per day from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.
- The fastest train is Train #7 departing at 08:30, which is scheduled to complete the journey in 11 hours 00 minutes.
- The best overnight train is Train #9 departing at 18:10, which is scheduled to arrive 13 hours 05 minutes later at 07:15.
Buy Tickets to Chiang Mai
Use the Search Box below to find your train tickets from Bangkok to Chiang Mai:
By purchasing your ticket online you guarantee your seat. You may be disappointed if you attempt to buy your ticket on the day of travel or even the day before if you plan to travel during busy periods.
Ticket Prices to Chiang Mai
|Seat Type||Online Price||Station Price|
|1st Class A/C Sleeper||1,753 to 1,903 THB||1,453 to 1,653 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Sleeper||1,011 to 1,291 THB||761 to 1,041 THB|
|2nd Class A/C Seat||891 THB||641 THB|
|2nd Class Sleeper Fan||831 THB||581 THB|
Train tickets purchased on online for the Bangkok to Chiang Mai route cost 250 THB more per ticket than purchasing the ticket at the train station. However, this is a popular route and sleeper seats in particular tend to sell out several days before the day of travel so booking in advance is a good idea.
Train Travel to Chiang Mai
The first stage of the train journey goes through the outskirts of Bangkok with views of the city few tourists would otherwise see. From Bangkok the train then travels across the flat central plain of Thailand through a seemingly endless stretch of rice paddy fields interrupted only by towns and cities along the way.
At Lopburi be sure to looking out the left hand side of the train carriage for the famous monkey temple, where Macaque monkeys roam freely through the ruins of an ancient temple. From the central plains the train track rises into the mountains and train moves slowly as it negotiates the winding tracks. From the mountains the train then continues past a large area with several lakes before arriving at Chiang Mai. Sit back, enjoy the food and arrive relaxed in Chiang Mai city
Route to Chiang Mai
- Distance from Bangkok to Chiang Mai: 693 km
- Train travel time from Bangkok to Chiang Mai: 11 to 14 hours
- Travel by road time from Bangkok to Chiang Mai: 8 hours 23 minutes
Best trains to Chiang Mai
The journey takes between 11 and 14 hours to do the journey.
- Daytime: If you enjoy train travel and want to look out the window as you go then book Train #7 which departs at 08.30. This journey is the only one during which you cross the mountains in daylight.
- Sleeper: If you would like to sleep on the train and arrive early in Chiang Mai for a full day of activities then book Train #9 which departs at 18.10. Train #9 uses the new train carriages brought into service in November 2016.
- Travel Tip: Train #7 and Train #9 are the most popular departures so be sure to book in advance as they often sell out before the day of travel.
Transporting a bicycle
Bicycles can be transported on the following trains if there is space in the freight car:
- Train #109 – Departing at 13.45
- Train #13 – Departing at 19.35
- Train #51 – Departing at 22.00
Bicycles cannot be carried on the following trains because they have no freight car:
- Train #7 – Departing at 08.30
- Train #9 – Departing at 18.10
For information about transporting bicycles on the train to Chiang Mai see our Guide to Carrying bicycles on Thailand Trains.
Bangkok Train Station
Hua Lamphong is Bangkok’s main railway station. It is easy to get to Hua Lamphong Station as it is on the MRT (metro) line. If you are staying by the river or in the Khao San area, however, you may not be near an MRT station in which case either take a taxi or tuk-tuk or the Chao Phraya Express Boat Service to the Marine Department Pier and its 10 minutes walk from there.
Location of Bangkok Station
Taxis in Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Railway Station is about 2.2 km from the popular Chan Klang Road and Night Bazaar area and 3.3 km away from the Thae Pae Gate in the old town. Unless you have booked one our recommended hotels near the train station is probably going to be too far to walk to your hotel when you arrive. Instead, take one of the tuk-tuks which wait in the station car park to your hotel, it will cost about 100 THB. For a cheaper option go to the main road and flag down a shared taxi, the cost of a trip to the old town should be around 40 THB per person.